My family love these slow cooker chicken fajitas! They’re so easy to throw together for a midweek meal that they go on the meal plan every few weeks.
How to make slow cooker chicken fajitas from scratch
As my regular readers know I’m not one to faff around in the kitchen! I like to make family weekday meals as simple and quick as possible which is why I find these slow cooker chicken fajitas the perfect mid week meal.
This recipe serves 4 people but can also be batch cooked and stored in the freezer until you need it.This is the slow cooker that we currently use and love.
What you’ll need
- A slow cooker
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 onions
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic (or more)
- Ground cumin
- Lemon or Lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 2 chicken breasts (you can use more than 2 but this works out plenty for us)
- Cut up your peppers and onions and pop them in the slow cooker. Crush your garlic (or chop it) and add to the slow cooker. I like to mash my garlic with the back of spoon because we don’t have a garlic crusher.
- Add your spices to the slow cooker with your veg and give it a good stir. I tend to go by eye with the spices I use, it’s usually around 1 teaspoon of each though then add more if it needs it.
- Empty your tin of tomatoes on top of your peppers and onions. (If you buy whole tomatoes chop them up a bit first). Then give the mix another good stir.
- Place your whole chicken breasts on top of the veggie mixture and sprinkle with a little more spice, lemon/lime juice and salt and pepper.
- Put your slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When the chicken is cooked thoroughly take it out and shred it. You can then mix it back in with the pepper and onion mixture.
- Serve in tortilla wraps with grated cheese, avocado or whatever you like with your fajitas!
*This recipe could also be a great way to use up leftover roast chicken.*