This weeks Five fabulously frugal things is all about how I booked our little trip away on a budget. The kids have been on half term this week so it was the perfect time to look for a last minute booking. We booked a cottage (on a farm) in the Peak District last Saturday and left for our little budget break on Monday.
Five fabulously frugal things I’ve done this week
- I managed to get our cottage at a bargain price of £251 for 4 nights during half term. We could have got a cheaper cottage but we wanted that little bit of luxury. Decent wi-fi was also very important as I wanted to work in the evenings while the kids were in bed. This money came out of my ‘long term save to spend’ account which covers anything from new washing machines to car insurance, holidays and other things in between. I’ll be replacing the money by doing side hustles & it will be paid back by the end of the month.
- I used Topcashback so I got cash back on my booking.
- To keep the costs of our little trip down we bought our groceries before we went. Yellow stickers a plenty of course! We spent £36 which included lots of treats such as chocolates, marshmallows (for hot chocolates), obligatory sweets for the journey and everything we needed for breakfasts, lunch and dinners. We were given eggs and sausages from the farm as our welcome pack so we ended up having more than enough of everything.
- I filled up with petrol at a Tesco station using one of their 10p off coupons which saved me £5 on a full tank of fuel. This got us there and back with some to spare.
- We stayed on a farm in the Peak District which meant we had plenty to do. We could see the animals and there were so many walks nearby with beautiful views that we didn’t need to drive out anywhere for the 3 days we were there! This meant we actually didn’t spend a penny while we were away. While I understand that may sound boring to others we all prefer chilled no hassle days.
I was so lucky to find a bargain break away in the Peak District this week for myself and the kids 😍 I’ve never taken then kids away on my own (unfortunately Tom can’t get time off work this week) but I’m sure we will have a great time! I’ll be taking my work with me to keep me busy in the evenings while the kids are in bed 💪🏼 gotta keep working towards them goals ❤️🙌🏼 #frugalblogger #frugalliving #ukblogger #mblogger #bloggeruk #pbloggersuk #mummyblogger #frugalmum #pbloggeruk #bloggingmama #frugallife #ukblog #mbloggers #pblogger #ukmums #peakdistrict #mbloggersuk #frugal #personalfinanceblog #outdoorsy #blogginglife #ukbloggers #ukmoneybloggers #bloggersofinstagram #followtheleader #ukparentbloggers #mumoftwo #mumblog #bloggermum #bloggingmum
We actually had a great few days together, we all appreciated the change of scenery and felt refreshed. I was a little apprehensive because I’ve never taken the kids away by myself before, but we had a lovely chilled time away. We might not have done anything exciting but we were all happy.