I can’t believe it’s October already! This is one of my favourite months because we have 3 birthdays in our house this month. I also love autumn colours and getting snuggly under blankets with a hot chocolate. Here is this weeks Five Fabulously Frugal Things.
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve done this week
- I made jacket potatoes in the slow cooker in a bid to reduce electricity costs further. Since having my smart meter installed my eyes really have been opened to how much electric everything uses. Our biggest costs coming from our electric shower and the oven, so slow cooking jacket potatoes seemed like a more cost friendly way.
- It’s my birthday this weekend so I have been checking out all my birthday freebies.
- We’ve started timing our showers. As I said our shower is the biggest drain on our electricity so we’ve actually started timing our showers to keep on top of costs.
- I meal planned, ate up out the cupboards, fridge and freezer this week. The strict grocery budget is doing well this month.
- I used regular value rice instead of arborio rice in a risotto, I barely noticed a difference. It was delicious and cost around £3 less!
I’m really happy with how frugal this week has been, the grocery budget is stretching surprisingly well. I will have to pick up some fresh stuff over the weekend like fresh bread, fruit and veg etc but so far so good. I’m doing all I can to not put the heating on but we’ve had the wood burner on a few days over the last few weeks. I’m planning a craft session with the kids to make our own draft excluders this weekend, I’m hoping they will help keep rooms a little warmer.