It’s time for another Five fabulously frugal things I’ve done this week. We’ve seen a rather chilly start to March with the snow which meant the kids were off school for a couple of days this week. This meant snowy walks, snowman building, hot chocolates and pancakes for breakfast.
Five fabulously frugal things I’ve done this week
- Leeks are in season right now so they are fairly cheap to buy as well as being better for you and really sweet and delicious. This weeks meal plan has included lots of leeks, including a bacon, leek and mushroom pie which was perfect leftover for lunch on the cold days. I use the entire leek including the tougher green bits. Once its been in the slow cooker or its blitzed to make a soup you really don’t notice any difference in the texture.
- I had some pastry leftover from the pie so made some jam tarts for dessert.
- The last day of each month I withdraw any money I can out of survey sites and phone apps etc and work out how much I’ve made that month. This week I withdrew another £32 from Branded surveys, along with other survey site earnings I’ve made roughly £163 this month.
- I also withdrew the savings that I had been accumulating in my Cleo wallet this month. These went straight into my car expenses fund ready for when I need it. I’m really enjoying the auto save function with Cleo, I barely notice the money that it saves for me which turned out to be over £70 when I checked and withdrew.
- We were forced to have a few no spend days this week due to the snow. I realised just how well stocked our kitchen is, the only thing we ran out of was bread which I made instead.
I’m really happy with how this months money making and saving went. The survey earnings have been set aside for car expenses along with the Cleo savings. March and April are always expensive months for my car as I have my MOT, service, tax and insurance all within a few weeks of each other. Saving for this over February and March really helps to spread out the costs though.