It’s been a relatively busy week for the children with the end of summer term. But nonetheless we’ve stuck to our frugal ways in aid of paying for our upcoming travels so here is my …Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week – 7th July 2017 post.
Five Fabulously Frugal Things I’ve Done This Week
- Once a month we tend to have a pizza night on a Friday. We used to buy a takeaway pizza but in a bid to save money we started getting a pizza from the supermarket instead. This week I’ve gone one frugal step further and made my own pizza dough! When the kids are home I’ll get them involved and we will be having homemade pizza for tea.
- As it’s the beginning of the month I did a big online shop, I had a Tesco coupon for £4 off and got all the bulky stuff we will need for the month. I have a strict grocery budget this month of £200 & I spent £80 on the big online shop. This then leaves me with £120 to do top up shops once a week for fresh produce, any yellow sticker items & anything we need the last minute. This tends to prevent me from over spending and I find it easier to meal plan when I can see what I have in front of me.
- We played that amazing game ‘freezer roulette’ on Monday night and ended up with a leftover saag aloo korma! This was coupled with a packet of rice that I picked up for free a few weeks ago.
- On Saturday night I did one of my children’s favourite spaghetti bolognaise (with 99p yellow sticker beef mince). I bulked out the bolognaise with plenty of grated carrot (yellow stickered to 27p for a bag), onions, chopped tomatoes and chopped dried mushrooms. This made enough bolognaise to make a lasagne for another night this week.
- My son and I graced the yellow sticker aisles while my daughter was at dance club. This week’s favourite yellow sticker find was a piece of pork shoulder for £5! There is enough meat for a huge roast dinner and then 2 weeks worth of meals after that, no joke!
I felt really unwell toward the beginning of this week with what I believe to be PMDD. The brain fog and migraines completely took over which prevented me doing too much work. Therefore I decided if I couldn’t make more money, I would save more money. I’ve noticed a real food trend in my frugal ways this week, I do find it very easy to save money on groceries. Maybe I should do a weekly ‘yellow sticker finds’ post. How frugal was your week?